March 24, 2011

Year

Think about where you were a year ago.
Did you think you would be where you are now?
Think about where you will be one year from now.

+Well...I'll tell you one thing. I never really expected to be in Russia. That's for sure!
+Did I think I would go a whole year without being asked on a date? Obviously not.
+If you would have told me last year that I would be training for a half marathon and running 4 miles 2-3 times per week I would have laughed. In your face.
+I had a substitute teacher in Econ 110 and he let us out early to watch the BYU-Florida game. (I tweeted about marrying Jimmer over a year ago. I never thought I would have a class with him or that his name would cross Obama's lips...and actually everyone in America's lips!)
+I had anxiety about hanging out with returned missionaries. I was mostly weirded out and a little bit afraid but I have come to realize that they're pretty much just boys who may or may not speak another language and love to wear soccer/rugby jerseys and hang flags in their apartments.
+On that same note, I had anxiety about all my friends leaving for their missions. To be honest, missions are probably the greatest thing to ever happen. This first year (for some, 6-9ish months for others) has flown by and I am happy and they are happy. I love reading their letters and e-mails and such...they really inspire me and I am really proud of them!
+Adam took me to Target so I could buy Justin Bieber's second album, My World 2.0. Talk about life-changing...I had a diet coke on the way there and we got Wendy's on the way home. And I put it in Megan's (or Ryan's?) huge boombox and listened to the whole thing 4-5 times all the way through while I did my Econ 100 homework.
+Econ 110 consumed my life...I really didn't think I was going to make it through.
+At roughly this time last year I was beginning the slow process of quitting Diet Coke. I don't think I thought I could quit. Like for good. But I did! Honestly. I will admit, after I quit cold turkey I drink it every once in a while. But I am no longer addicted and I'm not going to have another sip until after the half marathon.
+I was in one of the worst parts of one of the greatest friendships I have ever had. Fighting fighting fighting drama drama drama.
+I really truly thought I was at the height of my social life...
+I didn't think my testimony would be as strong as it is now. I didn't think it could be!
+I think I was pretty lukewarm about serving a mission...I have so much more enthusiasm about it now. Unless life throws me a huge curveball, I'm totally going.

Here's the thing about me. I'm not really a planner...but one year from now I maybe might be...
+Welcoming Sam and Britton home from their missions, and anticipating the arrival of Scott and the rest in the summer. Yeesh!
+Gearing up for an internship at the Library of Congress in DC through BYU's Washington Seminar.
+Single.
+Still a runner.
+OHHHHH IDK MAYBE I'LL HAVE A REAL LIFE JOB THAT DOESN'T INVOLVE ANYTHING WITH NANNYING.
+Someone who cares about clothes. Maybe even fashionable?
+President of a club I want to start. Similar to the Pizza Club if you've ever heard of it...
+Finishing up JUNIOR YEAR at BYU...this really is giving me five heart attacks.
+Making preparations for Abby's wedding to take place in the spring????

I live for life's surprises. Some people like to plan everything out and then they get their panties in a bunch when things don't turn out. I do that too, sometimes. But this Russia surprise that life threw at me has been one of the best things ever. And I am starting to see that is doesn't really matter what surprises life throws at us. What does matter is what we do when it hits us in the face...like a goal kick to the face...or a frying pan to the face...or a pie to the face...cliche, but true, people.

1 comment:

  1. I lerrrrrrrrve this post.
    A year ago, I was spending every waking minute with you and/or Lance and writing letters to missionaries in a frenzy. OHHHH HOW TIMES HAVE CHANGED.

    ReplyDelete