November 9, 2010

GK

I love my Humanities class. Today we talked about photography. And it was amazing and I think I could look at early photography all day. Some of my favorite photographs we looked at were taken by a woman named Gertrude Kasebier.

An interesting story about Gertrude is that she created a portfolio and took it to Alfred Stieglitz, a prominent photographer of the time and Georgia O'Keefe's husband. He had a studio and published a photography journal, etc. He wouldn't give her the time of day! He was like oh I'm not concerned with flowers and other things that women are concerned with. So Gertrude had one of her male friends take her portfolio in a few days later and present it to Stieglitz. Of course, Stieglitz said it was some of the best work he had ever seen, phenomenal, blah blah blah. And I bet he felt really dumb when the guy told him that it was Gertrude's work. To Stieglitz's credit, he published Gertrude's work in his magazine. It was the first issue to showcase one artist exclusively.


Gertrude Kasebier Miss N

Gertrude Kasebier

No comments:

Post a Comment