February 23, 2011

Plan to be surprised

I feel a little stressed. I thought I had all my plans for moving back to Provo laid out, but things have gone a little differently than I wanted them to...And it's going to be okay. I just decided. In this moment I have resolved to stop freaking out and just let the good times roll in Moscow.

BUT. My elbows are truly itching to bake. Baking is my emotional outlet. Usually when I get in the mood, I drop everything (like homework), run to the store to pick up whatever extras I need, and whisk myself away to the wonderful fantasy world that is my kitchen. Today I'm not so lucky. I'm far from the grocery store, and it's not like they have the ingredients I need anyway. The brown sugar in the cabinet is obscure and rock solid, and I don't have a hand mixer...so. There you go.

It also doesn't help that in my spare time I enjoy browsing food blogs. The inspiration I find is remarkable: woopie pies, chocolate chip cookies with an oreo inside, browned butter brownies, crumb cakes, copy-cat recipes for Samoas...mmmmmmmm. Hopefully when I return to the promised land all my baking dreams will be fulfilled. For now I will listen to the good karma playlist on www.stereomood.com and occupy myself with books and writing to curb my cravings.

Here's a few words about plans from a movie I truly cannot stand to watch, Dan in Real Life. It's a good quote.

"I want to talk to you about the subject of plans...life plans and how we all make them, and how we hope our kids make good, smart, safe plans of their own. But if we're really honest with ourselves, most of our plans don't work out as we had hoped. So instead of asking our young people, 'What are your plans? What do you plan to do with your life?', maybe we should tell them this: Plan...to be surprised."

No comments:

Post a Comment