October 27, 2009

With the first cup, you're a stranger. With the second cup, you're a friend. With the third cup, you are family.

Well, I've been trying to make this thing look cute for a while but I've mostly failed. Today in my family history class, my teacher talked about blogs as a means for family history and personal records. I think it's really funny to hear older people talk about technology because they're way fascinated by it. I think I don't appreciate it.

This morning, it snowed. And it was beautiful. For a while it was really overcast and cloudy so you couldn't even see the top half of the mountains, but it cleared up later. Timp is covered with snow and it looks so cool! Especially since down here the trees still have their fall colors.

I can't believe that I have to start signing up for my new classes for winter semester NEXT WEEK! Time goes by relatively fast for me now. I don't really know what I want to take or should take. I haven't really decided on a major, which does not help at all. I'm leaning towards elementary education right now because that is definitely something I would love doing. But there are so many other things to think about! I think Anthropology would be SO cool, and I would be able to travel and do field studies which is something I've always really wanted to do. WE SHALL SEE!

I still don't know what to be for Halloween...at this point, I don't really care that much. Maybe I will throw my Hannah Montana costume together at the last minute.

I just rediscovered a movie I loved when I was little and they have the whole thing on youtube! I watched Thumbelina last night, so when I got on youtube today under my recommended videos were a bunch of kids movies. I noticed a clip I kindof recognized and then realized it was QUEST FOR CAMELOT which is sooo good and I had totally forgotten what it was called. So weird that I still remember the words to the songs...

Lean Pockets are nasty. And the fact that I have to put Ranch dressing on them to make them taste better makes them not lean anymore...So. Next time I will buy Hot Pockets if I'm in the mood for Pockets again.

Today, Greg Mortenson, author of Three Cups of Tea spoke at the Marriott Center. Of course I watched it from the comfort of my four-foot couch, but some things he said were really interesting to me. He shared an African Proverb that says "If you educate a boy, you educate an individual. If you educate a girl, you educate a community." When he was being introduced, the Vice President alluded to when Brigham Young said that if he had to choose to educate his sons or his daughters he would educate his daughters. He said he couldn't find the exact quote and he didn't really know if he actually said it, but I know he said that. Anyway, Moretenson closed by talking about how people who serve other people for years eventually burn out becuase they are not mentally, spiritually, physically, and emotionally stable enough. He told us as college students to figure all that stuff out NOW. "You solve your problems here, then go out into the world to make it a better place." I couldn't agree more! His speech was really great. Abby thinks he is a secret Mormon.

The rug is bunchy. It is bugging me. It also needs to be vacuumed. The garbage can in the bathroom needs to be taken out. I always assume someone else will do it. Hmm...

1 comment:

  1. The much awaited blog...so excited to be able to follow your college experiences. Have you read his book, Three Cups of Tea...you'll want it in your own library. The rest of Brigham Young's quote....because they will be the mothers of the children.
    You'll appreciate reading this blog with your children one day...trust me...you'll get it then, because you won't remember you preferred hot pockets over lean, you threw on a Hannah Montana costume for Halloween, or that the rug was bunchy...not earthshaking, but nice to remember the other memories they will conjure up. You will always remember Greg Mortensen's contributions in Afghanistan.

    ReplyDelete